Numerous studies conducted in recent years have shown that beets have powerful healing properties. What’s better, the nutritional value of this veggie is kept both raw and cooked. Its use dates back to ancient time, when Hippocrates, one of most outstanding figures in the history of medicine, viewed beets as a medicinal plant. Throughout centuries, this amazing veggie was used for the treatment of numerous diseases, including blood disorders like iron deficiency (also known as anemia).
Beets are packed with iron. Among all plant foods, they are richest in iron after garlic. Moreover, the iodine content of the beets is the second to kale. Beets will not only give your body some essential nutrients, but they will also speed up the metabolism and provide powerful antioxidants that can be helpful in both prevention and treatment of many health problems.
12 Reasons Why You Should Include Beets In Your Diet
- Beets contain polyphenols and betalains, which reverse the effect of free radical damage and oxidative stress in people.
- Beets are a great source of vitamin B9, and a good source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and vitamin C.
- Beets are rich in minerals – potassium and folate, which improve heart health; magnesium, which promotes strong, healthy bones; iron and phosphorus which boost energy levels; iodine, which is involved in the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones; copper, which destroys free radicals.
- Beets contain cobalt, which promotes the formation of vitamin B12 (which is synthesized by intestinal microflora). If your body doesn’t have this vitamin and folic acid, the formation of red blood cells would be practically impossible.
- Beets rejuvenate our bodies due to high levels of vitamin B9 (also known as folic acid), which stimulates the production new cells.
- The betalain pigments found in beets can help your body to get rid of harmful toxins.
- Beets also contain betacyanins, which are found to prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- Beets can significantly improve digestion due to their high amounts of dietary fiber.
- Beets will give a boost to your metabolism.
- They help digest Vitamin D in our bodies.
- Beets help prevent dementia due to the high levels of nitrates, which are converted into nitrites in the oral cavity. Many studies have found that nitrites have the ability to open up the blood vessels in the body, which increases blood flow and helps oxygen to reach areas that are lacking oxygen.
- Beets contain a higher amount of pectin than apples and carrots. Pectin helps your body to remove radioactive and heavy metals. In addition to this, it also inhibits the spread of harmful intestinal bacteria and prevents the development of numerous diseases.
As you can see above, the powerful healing properties of beets will help improve your overall health in many ways. So, make yourself a favor and increase your beets intake ASAP.